Thursday, June 21, 2012

Archival Education and A Field Trip to The Capitol

This past Monday The Washington Center treated us STIPDG Interns to a tour of The United States Capital and Congress. The field trip was a much appreciated break from another manic Monday in the "Real World", where everyday feels like Monday. I was feeling a bit homesick that day so I mostly took pictures and grin and beared the corny jokes of our tour guide who was used to eight grade audiences. Though I understand why, I was very disappointed to learn visitors aren't allowed near The Senate Chambers or The Chamber of the House of Representatives. I'm probably just spoiled from my trip to the United Nations two years ago for the International Day of Solidarity with Israel when my seminary classmates and I sat in the General Assembly Hall. Can't have it all, can we now? The tour was great despite my inability to elude the M16 armed security and enter the contemporary "pressure chambers". I'm glad The Washington Center organized the tour because I would not have sought a visit out myself. I'd run (I'm training for a half-marathon) from our residential facility to the Capitol Building a few times since arriving in D.C. but did not have a burning desire to check it out. The ambivalence is silly given my fascination with standing in the Senate and House chambers, isn't it? Nevertheless, I came to The Capitol, I saw The Capitol, and I conquered The Capitol--by photographic force. See below how I strong my point and click (finger/hand/arm) is!

Meet Me In the Court Yard...It's Going Down




The Statue of Freedom

Capitol Dome "The Apothesis of Washington by Constantino Brumidi in 1865

Inside the Rotunda

Old Senate Chamber 


The Capitol Building: Housing Congress Since 1800
This week I read "The Historical Profession and Archival Education" by Joseph M. Turrini. Turrini's section on the increased commitment of Library Science to Archival Education inspired me to look at NCCU's own Archives and Records Management LS track with a more critical eye. Turnni describes a stagnation in History archival concentrations and a rise in Library Science based archival programs. This is somewhat the case with the curious NCCU concentration. A few years ago all the required archives courses were outsourced and required enrollment at North Carolina State University. Within the past two years they have been reintroduced and taught by a professor from the history department, who is not a trained archivist. There are in fact no faculty members with archival training nor experience in the NCCU SLIS either. Interesting huh? Despite the lack of archival training, LS and MA students are receiving solid archival education from a professor who is dedicated to giving students practical archival experiences via tours, practicums, and lectures.


 Turrini says "Granted that the failure of the historical profession to increase the number of archival professors comes at a time of an overall contraction of tenure-track faculty positions. Regardless of the context, the increase in archival curriculum and full-time archives faculty in library school demonstrates a much stronger commitment to archival education than in history departments". I say one history professor's commitment to archival curriculum and one LS professor's commitment to metadata and digital library curriculum in addition to the tenacity of archival students in seeking out professional development experiences circumvents the curious predicament of our archival program and produces field ready archivists. Normally there are less than ten library science students enrolled in archives classes offered at Central although there are many students (at least that I've talked to) who are considered Archives and Records Management track matriculates. Those enrolled in archives courses receive special attention and access to engaging archival tours and collection development projects.We get by just fine but I would love to see the addition of certified archival professors and serious attention given to increasing the number of matriculated archives students from the public history and library science departments at NCCU. 



No comments:

Post a Comment